Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Dance: The Hidden Language of the Soul

Dance [dans]; verb: To touch, to move, to inspire



As a child, I was never able to experience dance firsthand. I was a cheerleader. I cheered for about eleven years, beginning at age five. It was my thing. I loved it. The dancing aspect of cheer was one of the things I enjoyed the most. The feeling of performing in front of a maxed out stadium, or competing at a conference center with available spots being standing room only. A complete and utter rush; I lived for it. That is one feeling I will never in a million years forget.

I just knew if I ever had a daughter one day, she would cheer. We would share that same love and passion for it. I was sure of it.

Here I am, eleven years post cheer, and I have a seven year old little girl. During Pre-K, her academy offered extra-curricular activities, with dance being one of them. I read the list of activities to her, and she chose dance. I, of course, signed her up immediately, and so it began.

{First Year of Dance 2011/2012 - Age 4}

Kaylee has been dancing now for almost four years. K and I started her out with 1 class per "dance year" for the first two years. Last year for her third year, she asked to do more, so we registered her for three classes totaling three hours per week. She done great with the increased schedule really enjoying it, and learnt more last year than she had the previous two years combined. This year, for the 2014-2015 year, six classes are being offered for her age group. I asked her which classes she would like to do, and she told me all six. Last night, I completed her registration for six classes/six hours per week beginning in August!

{Hip Hop  2012/2013 - Age 5}

She is finding in dance what I found in cheer. She absolutely loves it, and I love watching the passion and excitement on her face when she's dancing. Dance has given her such confidence and joy, as well as lifelong friends, and the studio becoming like a second family to us. I hope that she continues with dance through high school and even into the collegiate level. I was blessed to stumble upon this company, and we've been with it for going on three years now. The Director really gives the girls so many opportunities that Kaylee could definitely go somewhere with it in the long run. 

{Jazz 2013/2014 - Age 6}
 {Hip Hop 2013/2014 - Age 6}
{Hip Hop Group 2013/2014 - Age 6}

I'm excited to share in this life of dance that she has chosen. I can't wait to see where it takes her. For as long as she enjoys it, we will continue to register her for classes until she tells us otherwise. Dancing was my favorite part of cheering, so in a small way, we do share that same love and passion I hoped we would. Dancing has so many more opportunities than cheer, so Kaylee chose the better one for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment