Thursday, May 8, 2014

NERD Alert

School.

I miss it.
 
 Like really miss it! The feel of sitting in a classroom; listening to a lecture; jotting down my notes; classmates; debates; the entire atmosphere. Go ahead and say it. I know you want to... Nerd. I'm such a nerd.
 
I know this.

I was never able to have that college experience. The summer after graduation, K and I found out we were pregnant with Kaylee. I tried the online class thing after Kaylee was born. Ha. What a joke that was for me. I lasted a semester. One whole semester, and then I quit. It was hard with an infant, and online classes just aren't for me. I'm more of a hands on learner. I have to physically be in a classroom with a teacher to understand the lesson being taught.

I always told myself I would go back when Kaylee started elementary school. Then, I would have that extra time to go to class, and it wouldn't interfere or neglect my time home with my family. Kaylee is currently at the end of her first grade year of school. First grade, and I have yet to enroll myself into our local community college. I've been busy with work and life, and I can now throw planning a wedding into the mix of things. Insert complication here.

These last two months it has really been getting to me. I have really begun to miss it more and more. I want to go back. I need to go back! So, I've decided... I'm going back. Next fall to be precise. I will wait until after the wedding, for life to calm down, and I will go. No excuses. I will do this! Even if it is part-time, it will satisfy this longing that I've been feeling when college comes to mind.

 With school on the mind lately, it's had me thinking what I want to do with my life, and what I would major in. I know that one day I want to write a book. I don't know about trying to make a career out of writing, and becoming an author (who knows if I would be any good at it anyways). I just want to write a book. One book within my lifetime. I've been an avid reader for as long as I can remember. I'm a bit of a bookworm. Getting lost in a novel is both gratifying and entertaining to me. To find a book that really captivates you in to using your imagination and connecting with the characters, is one feeling that I can't even explain. I just love it. Love finding a book that has me up until 4am because I can't stop; can't put it down; I have to know what happens next and how it ends. THAT is what I want to do. If only once in my life, I want to write a book that mesmerizes an audience. Be it a small audience or not. I can say with confidence, this has become a life goal for me.

So, next fall, I will finally be back in a classroom; working towards a degree in English Literature with a minor in Psychology. I'm eager to see what's in store for me, and to learn. Not only do I want to go back because I really miss it, but I want to be a role model for my daughter. School is very important. No matter how old you are, you can always go back. I'm doing it. I'm going back!

No comments:

Post a Comment