Tuesday, June 3, 2014

What Was I Thinking?

Boot Camp
5 Classes per week for...
12 Weeks!
 What in the <insert British accent> bloody hell was I thinking when I signed up for this? I literally just paid to have my ass kicked and handed to me. Why? At what point did I think this was a good idea? I'm doomed.
 
I completely changed my eating habits, January 1st, and threw exercising into the mix around March. I've been going to the gym after work five days a week, and doing Turbo Fire at home as well. My goal weight loss has been 40 pounds. I'm hallway there, and down 20 pounds since this lifestyle change.
 
My fiancé proposed last November, and that was the push I needed to make these changes and get back into shape, leading a healthier life. I decided to hold off on looking at any wedding dresses or trying them on until sometime in September. That gave me a total of 9 months to lose the weight in a healthy manner that will allow me to keep it off. I've learned the hard way that a "quick fix diet" doesn't work, and really isn't good for you in the long run. You almost always gain back all of your weight plus some.
 
So here I am, three months out to searching and finding that one perfect wedding dress for myself. I've been stuck on this plateau for the last few weeks, and feeling a little defeated. I've read and heard about these little problems along the weight loss journey. You're doing everything right, but not getting the results like you once were. It sucks, and can really make you want to give up completely.
 
My Sister-in-Law sent me a link to a deal she had found on Living Social last week. It took me to boot camp classes being offered by one of the biggest Karate companies in our city. It couldn't have come at a better time. This is the type of training and workouts I needed to surpass this plateau. The company offered a 4, 8, and 12 week boot camp classes along with 2 kickboxing classes a week included. We decided to go big or go home, and signed up for the 12 week boot camp! Those 12 weeks entail 5 boot camp classes per week, and two kickboxing classes per week.
 
12 weeks. I can do this. That will have me finishing right into September, before searching for a wedding dress. Perfect timing!
 
Day 1 of Boot Camp: What did we get ourselves into? What were we thinking choosing 12 weeks of this? This was an insane irrational decision. Holy workout! Army crawls - I hate you. If there's one thing I took from the class; I could never make it through basic training for the Army. If I were in war and had to crawl my way out... I'd die. Those things are no joke, and crawling with the addition of hand weights didn't make it one bit easier to accomplish. I stared at the clock; wishing the time to pass by, counting down the minutes, the seconds. It was tough. Not one bit of that hour was easy, BUT we made it. We endured the physical exercise and didn't give up (as badly as I wanted to). The instructor was quite pleased with how well we kept pace with everyone, stating we done great for our first boot camp class ever taken. I'll take it. I thought I was going to pass out, but luckily didn't. One person gave up halfway through and left the class. It felt good not being that person. As sore as I am today, I'm looking forward to the classes the rest of the week. They aren't easy, but I'm going to endure them and think about that wedding dress. 20 more pounds to go! I think I can make that happen within the next three months... at least I hope I can. I'm excited to try the kickboxing classes for sure.
 
Wish me luck on these next 12 weeks! I'm definitely going to need it.
 
Have you ever signed up for a boot camp before? Did you make it? How did you feel upon completion of the program?


No comments:

Post a Comment